On the hill above Balatonboglár,
in a peaceful environment,
stood a ruined and desolate churchyard chapel. Stairs
lined with thuyas
lead up to the chapel.
From the doorway there was a
fine view over lake Balaton.
churchyard chapel was built in an eclectic style by the Körmendy
family in 1893. Since the village had no church until 1932, the chapel
functioned as a consecrated catholic church. After the construction of
the main church and the opening of the new cemetery the chapel lost its
function and the churchyard became overgrown with brushwood. The chapel
was execrated and the graves were vandalized by “hooligans”.
english web site was sponsored by Soros Foundation (2003)