ARTPOOL EXHIBITIONS, PROJECTS, EVENTS FROM 1992
1992 - THE YEAR OF INTRODUCTION
- Presentations on the conceptual background of some as yet lesser-known art forms: "Computer Stamp Images"; "The Slide as Medium"; "Architectural Visions"; 'Fax and Electrographics"; "Fluxus Flags", an event of the Budapest Autumn Festival; etc.
- A historical overviews of some of the most significant of the avant-garde exhibitions of the `70s: the "Mirror" exhibition in the Balatonboglár Chapel Studio in 1973; "Texts", the first Hungarian visual poetry exhibition (likewise in 1973); the "In the Spirit of Marcel Duchamp" symposium held at Eötvös University, Budapest in 1978 to commemorate Duchamp's 100th birthday.
1993 - THE YEAR OF FLUXUS
- On the Fluxus movement, in the form of one-man shows and group exhibitions, meetings, art events, and performances with the participation of well-known Fluxus artists such as Geoffrey Hendricks, Dick Higgins, George Maciunas, Jackson MacLow, Yoko Ono, Ben Vautier, Miklós Erdély, Tamás St. Auby, Endre Tót, etc. [fluxus bibliography] [fluxus videos]
- Lectures related to the exhibitions were given by art historians László Beke and Éva Körner, the German theoretician René Block, artist György Galántai, et al.
- The presentation of new trends in art: "Art Communication Projects of the `80s", "Electronic Communication Happening between Budapest and Vienna through Fax and Video Phone", etc.
1994 - THE YEAR OF MIKLÓS ERDÉLY
- Based on the results of research done on the Fluxus, exhibition of the works of some outstanding Hungarian artists of the `70s and `80s, with a special emphasis on Miklós Erdély, whose manuscripts, video, and sound documents had finally became available.
- In the course of a series of lectures entitled "Önösszeszerelő délutánok" (Self-Assembling Afternoons), Miklós Erdély's friends, colleagues, and followers recalled their memories of him, discussed their former ideas and plans, and interpreted Erdély's contributions.
- During the Budapest Autumn Festival, a three-night Polyphonix Sound Poetry Festival a genre akin to Fluxus and performance with the participation of significant artists from outside Hungary: Bernard Heidsieck, Julien Blaine, Ernst Jandl, et al.
1995 - THE YEAR OF THE PERFORMANCE
- Lectures, video presentations and discussions with the participation of the artists involved on the antecedents and history of performance. Lectures by László Beke, F. László Földényi, Péter György, Endre Szkárosi, and others.
- A festival called "Video-Expedition in the Performance-World", presenting the work of more than 300 performance artists from 20 countries (catalogue).
- As part of the international "Horizontal Radio" project organized by Ars Electronica (Linz, Austria), several hours of "Artpool Radio" broadcast on 23 radio stations throughout the world.
1996 - ART ON THE INTERNET
- Artpool is creating a Home Page of information, documents and projects for access via the Internet.
1997 - THE YEAR OF THE NETWORK
- Researches on the old and new, the internal and external networks, the nature of the network, etc.
1998 - THE YEAR OF INSTALLATION
The original meaning of the word installation, which latently has always been there, now gets more and more emphasis in a new view of art. Installation, in open systems, in open works, or in "open minds", means the implementation of something, that is, the beginning of something.
Installation of Artpool P60, international invitation, exhibitions, events
1999 - THE YEAR OF CONTEXTS
2000 - THE YEAR OF CHANCE
2000, the last year of the 20th century, interpreted as the zero-year of the 21st century is suitable to be the YEAR of the CHANCE project of Artpool Art Research Center, for it "zeros" what has happened so far, and thus attempts to generate, out of the chances, a "self-assembling" refurbishment and approaches the IMPOSSIBLE (2001).
2001 - THE YEAR OF IMPOSSIBLE
Walk in the impossible.- In case we approach the world with the laws of quantum-mechanics, it is not impossible that all of a sudden an object appears at a site of the space without any reason. That is the way of a transformation from an old reading attitude to a new one, where we jump from a historical, political, judging mind into a cybernetic, playful, reasoning mind. We are going to read with the latter one in the future.
2002 - THE YEAR OF DOUBTS/DOUBLES
the year 2 is the year of connections characterized by sensitivity and cooperation
2003 - THE YEAR OF THE THREE
From chance (0) and impossibility (1) derives doubt (2) and from this derives threefoldness. Viewing it from an other perspective, from any two hypotheses comes a third kind which surpasses the former ones. The motto of the year: "all statements that lack contradiction are false since reality is contradictory". (Vilém Flusser)
2004 - THE YEAR OF THE FOUR
The four basic
concepts: image, apparatus, program and information.
2005 - THE YEAR OF FIVE
For the so called experimental photographers (the functionarist) are conscious that "image", "apparatus", "program", "information" are the basic that they have to come to terms with. [...] this practice gives rise to a model of freedom in the post-industrial context in general. (Vilém Flusser)
2006 - THE YEAR OF THE SIX
Six is a perfect number in multiple senses: it is the dubiousness/doubleness of the threes and the unity of this duplicity; two plus four may also be three times two.
2007 - THE YEAR OF THE SEVEN
After the six being a perfect number in multiple senses, seven is again one -by the dimensionist term- N+1. According to the tradition Five is the Principle, Seven represents Fulfilment. Between the two we find Six, the symbol of Creation. The year of the Seven is a year of Self-awareness and Spiritual Development.
2008 - THE YEAR OF THE EIGHT
The product of the four numerical digits and number two is eight; the four digits represent dimension, number two means doubt, while number eight is the unrepeatable element in the program. […] The tradition of doubt is integral to the tradition of science: science itself, the research aspiring to truth, stems from the tradition of doubt. […] Is each human being of the future a potential creator then? Yes s/he is, since telematic dialogue is not only a strategy for the production of information, but first and foremost, a school for creation; the school of freedom.
2009 - THE YEAR OF THE LAST NUMBER
A holon on the n level of an output hierarchy is represented on the (n+1) level as a unit, and triggered into action as a unit. A holon, in other words, is a system of relata which is represented on the next higher level as a relatum. (Arthur Koestler)